What is Counselling?
Counselling gives you the space and time to explore different aspects of your life, in a safe, contained therapeutic relationship. Therapy is defined as ‘treatment intended to relieve or heal a disorder’. It aims to help alleviate distress, improve well-being and have a greater sense of self-awareness in order to be your best self.
- Do you want to explore different aspects of your life that you feel stuck in?
- Do you want to get a better perspective?
- Do you want to understand what makes you tick?
- Do you want to take control back in your life?
How will Counselling help me?
There are many ways counselling can help here are just a few:
- Can improve our relationships
- Find work that is rewarding
- Strengthening our self-esteem and self- confidence
- Being able to understand our feelings and thoughts that may be causing us distress
- Being able to recognise destructive patterns
- Being able to make healthier choices and know our self-worth
- Learn to trust and value ourselves
Who is Counselling for?
The simple answer? It’s for anyone who wants to explore and change, or is sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!
- You want to find out how to deal with things better
- You want things to change; you want to change.
- You want to grow and develop emotionally.
- You want to know why you behave the way you do
- You want to explore why certain things in the past are still showing up now and causing you distress.
- How you can save your relationships or leave your relationship in a healthy way for you.
What counselling is not:
- Counselling is not about me giving you advice or direction.
- I will not be accountable for your life or your errors of judgement.
- I will not rescue you.
- I will not be your friend.
If I was any of these, counselling would not work; I would not be a good therapist.
What can I expect on my first session?
The purpose of the first session is an opportunity for you and I know to get to know each other better. I would like to hear what has brought you to counselling and to begin to understand you and the challenges you are facing, it’s important that I get an insight into your past. Depending on my observations and with the knowledge I have, I can tailor an approach that’s best suited to your needs.
What you bring to the therapy room is precious; as you are bringing your vulnerabilities to me and all that is you. The trust you put in me is honoured and everything we talk about is treated with the utmost confidence and respect. As confidentiality and trust is important in the counselling relationship, I will explain this in detail and answer any questions you may have, just so you can be assured what you say in sessions is safe and secure. I will also explain other aspects such as cancellation policy, what you can expect from me and how to help yourself get the most from counselling.
It’s really important to have a relationship with a therapist that you feel safe with, in order to share your story in an environment of trust. How we feel during and after this first session, allows us to decide whether we are right for each other and determine how effective our work could be together.